Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving


Today is Thanksgiving Day in America (it's the 4th Thursday of November). Time for family gatherings, roast stuffed turkey basted to perfection, pumpkin pies (I haven't had one of those since I left Ohio, 20 years ago !). I remember it as a heartwarming holiday in tones of gold and orange inspired on the hard work, endurance, and rewarding first harvest of the Pilgrims who in the 17th century went to America fleeing religious persecution in England.

I believe that the vast majority of Americans have a deep felt sense that they have a lot to be thankful for. And they do, really, as do so many others without the honesty to acknowledge it, let alone celebrate it.

Thanksgiving is the time to acknowledge and celebrate all things good.

Today I miss America.
I particularly and keenly miss my parents and sisters. We had four wonderful Thanksgiving Day dinners while we lived in the USA.
We found our reasons to be thankful.

1 comment:

Tegen de Wereld said...

Interesting weblog. Check out ours sometime @ tegendewereld.blogspot.com. Thanksgiving best wishes.