Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Frozen

I’m on an unlucky streak (not that unusual with me). Besides making three different lightbulbs blow in one day, having a sore throat, being feverish and longing to be in bed all day, my broadband internet connection breaking down and my computer’s hard-disk being reported to have bad sectors and to be the cause of “A serious system error”, it seems I’ve also been condemned to freeze to death.
Yesterday I woke up at 5 AM with a terribly scratching and poking noise coming from inside the central heating pipes. Not being able to identify the source of the noise or do anything about it, I was quite distressed and wasn’t able to sleep again (fortunately the girls didn’t wake up or they would have been scared to death). At 7 AM, I finally concluded that probably a small animal had gone into the boiler vent through the opening in the outside wall: the noise was coming from above the boiler and at this stage it was only heard whenever the boiler let off a shot of hot water into the central heating pipes. I turned the boiler off and there was no more noise, which meant that if indeed it was an animal it was probably dead by now. I called the rentals agency, told them what happened and asked them to send someone around to fix the problem as soon as possible. I stressed that, since the boiler was turned off, we had no heating, nor hot water (outside temperatures were -1º C / 30º F). I was told that an “engineer” would come and look at the boiler shortly. I sat freezing, waiting all day long and by the end of the day, the “engineer” still hadn’t shown up. I called again and was told that he would come first thing today. We all slept dressed like Eskimos and this morning the girls happily went to school, where it’s nice and warm.
Well. Here I am freezing (does it show? Well, I am!). He still hasn’t come. The house feels like a giant freezer (those fabulous scenes of Yuri Zhivago and Lara in a frozen Russian cottage keep coming to my head). I called again and they’ll call me back. If the “engineer” doesn’t come before I pick the girls up from school, I’m set on packing up and spending the night in a hotel. I’ll write about it later.

3 comments:

mami said...

Espero que já esteja arranjado,or else...

mami said...

As you can see, I've learned!

leftwing portuguese guy said...

So, it's not only in Portugal....