Friday, January 06, 2006

The Beatles and iTunes

As always, it's all about money. I just couldn't figure out why you can't buy a Beatles song on iTunes; it annoyed me because I am a huge fan of both the band and the internet music store and I've always hated that feeling of frustration you get when you're faced with the incompatibility between two great things.

As it stands, the adoption of any new legal technology has huge impact on the Beatles royalties (they didn't issue CDs until 1987, five years after the format debuted in North America and long after most other groups did) and there's a lot of confusion and legal arm-wrestling over the ownership of the Fab-Four's songs.

Too bad, because I've just given up finding the Beatles CD's that mysteriously disappeared during my last house move. Sniff, sniff.

No comments: