Monday, January 30, 2006

Oxford

I loved Oxford. Among its beautiful architecture, for centuries a shrine of scholarly learning and tradition, there's a healthy, young bustling that gives the city as much of a sense of "youth/future" as it has of "history/past". It's bursting with life, movement, culture and joie-de-vivre.
I loved seeing a mum bring a bunch of stuff (mostly dishes, plates and bowls covered with aluminum foil) to her student daughter and a friend. I loved the joy on their faces as the mum parked the car in front of the girls who were waiting, standing on the sidewalk in front of a huge dorm building. Looked like a Sunday routine. Blessed mums.
I loved seeing mums and dads with little kids strolling about in the cold but beautiful weather.
I loved seeing the restaurants, cafes and shops full of young people and young families.
While we were having lunch in a cozy French bistrot, I mentioned to Ana that I would really like it if both her and Clara would attend university either at Oxford or Cambridge. She answered she just wants to design clothes. Oh well.
PS - Please see my Oxford photos.

No comments: