Sunday, March 26, 2006

Self-mutilation

Ana and I went out and got our ears pierced on Friday. She gave in to peer pressure (as of two weeks ago she was, and I quote, "the only girl in her class who still hadn't pierced her ears and now that there's a school disco coming up, it is really important to have nice earrings because that's what everybody's talking about") and I gave in to her constant nagging because it's really no big deal to have your ears pierced when you're 11.

OK. I could have gone with her, she'd get her ears pierced and be happy and I'd just stay put and watch and be happy. But no. I decided to pierce mine too! Why on earth did I do it after almost 39 years of happily going without having holes in my ear-lobes? I don't know, but I expect it might have something to do with the growing need to re-invent myself as a younger, happier, more appearance-conscious person... If you dig in and get to the core of it, my motives must surely have been that silly.

Pity I don't know anyone with a psychology degree.

4 comments:

mami said...

Thanks to my princess for letting me see how she looks with her new look.Well, ok, I give in...
Besides,lots of possibilities for presents, which is good and comes just at the right time, May and June coming so soon.
I hope your special day was the best ever and I felt it was my day too, thanks to your dear loving words.
Otherwise in a not so pleasant way, it was also mother's day for me,you know why...

BBB said...

well, well, well, you look very nice!!!!!! I´m sure my little baby doll too. love U. As Mommy said it came just at the right time...

Claudia said...

That's exactly what I thought: earrings make very air-travel friendly presents!

Anonymous said...

with such beautiful eyes, who looks to some small earings?