Thursday, June 01, 2006

Rondo Alla Turca

Playing on the iPod is the third movement of Mozart's Piano Sonata No. 11 in A major, K. 331, the famous Rondo Alla Turca, one of my daughters' favourites for their ballet practices. I've always wished to play it as well as my father did when I was a child. Alas, I never came close, even though my dad was self-taught and I did have piano lessons for a couple of years.
I've just realized with a pang that I miss my dad's piano playing terribly! I remember the delight it always was to hear him play (still is!) and the comfort I felt when that happened long after bedtime as I lay sleeplessly in bed (this didn't happen often, yet, the few times when it did happen were enough to create a very pleasant and cherished impression that lingers in my mind to this day).
Dad: start practicing for when you're here in a couple of week's time ! I'll have the piano tuned !

6 comments:

Dad said...

I don't dare to play anymore. My hands and my fingers do not have the necessary agility anylonger. I'm the past, you're the present and our little ones are the future. Keep those sounds and memories with you as I keep the beautiful images of you and your sisters as young little ladies running and jumping and laughing around me. As I get older I remember more and more those momemts of complete happiness. And as long as I keep the capacity of remembering I can still feel happy again!

Claudia said...

Precious memories of happiness they are indeed. All I can wish for is that my daughters look back on their childhood with as much fondness as I look back on mine. Thank you, Mum and Dad.

mum said...

You don´t want to make me cry, do you?

Claudia said...

I shed a tear myself.

Dad said...

One measure of my life span is that I still remember Maria João Pires playng in public as a child prodigy. She was directed by a famous portuguese piano professor (I guess Campos Coelho ?). Many considered her at that time as might becoming a very promising pianist!...

Claudia said...

And she is a great performer. I'm amazed with the number of recordings she did for Deutsche Grammophon.