Saturday, November 18, 2006

Alfama


Last Summer I bought this watercolour in Lisbon. A very thin, smallish, dark-haired woman who smoked like a chimney was painting and selling her work on a luminous morning half way down Rua do Carmo and both Ana and Clara took an affection to this romantic depiction of Alfama. I like it myself: bright-yellow trams are becoming rare in Lisbon (they're all covered in adverts nowadays) but will always be one of the city's landmarks. Tram 28 is still the best choice to enjoy some of the prettiest sights in the oldest part of Lisbon.
How strange to become a tourist in your own city...
How strange that the city you call your own and which you knew like the palm of your hands isn't your home any more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Course it is!
There can be two,three different places that you can call home.

Rauf said...

Thinking of 'I am I said' 'Brooklyn Roads' both Neil Diamond