Friday, November 10, 2006

Lonely people inspire

In the 1980s, a grave of an Eleanor Rigby was discovered in the graveyard of St. Peter's Parish Church in Woolton, Liverpool, a few feet from where McCartney and Lennon had met for the first time during a fete in 1957. Paul had frequently played there as a boy. The actual Eleanor was born in 1895 and lived in Liverpool, possibly in the suburb of Woolton, where she married a man named Thomas Woods. She died in her sleep of unknown reasons on October 10, 1939 at age 44. (Interestingly, if one considers that 1940 had an extra day because it was a leap year, the real Eleanor Rigby died exactly one year, to the day, before John Lennon was born.) Whether this Eleanor was the inspiration for the song or not, her tombstone has become a landmark to Beatles fans visiting Liverpool. The Rigby family, if any, has never come forward with any royalty demands.
Lennon and McCartney made contradictory remarks about the authorship of the
lyrics. Lennon had claimed to have written a good half of the words. In an interview after Lennon's death, McCartney disputed this, saying Lennon had added only about a half a line. -- Wikipedia

6 comments:

Rauf said...

Any information on Father McKenzie ?

What McCartney says is perhaps true about the tune, it is his all the way, but the lyrics have Lennon style mostly.

where was I ? This came before Sgt. Pepper. I think strawberry fields for ever was on the flip side. This went up the charts first. I think I was in my second year in college. Life was pretty much the same now, same house, same room. I had Twiggy posters on my wall. The frightened kitten.
Beatles and Twiggy were the only two things then, perhaps you could add George Best.

Rauf said...

People still don't realise the impact The Beatles created. History took a sharp turn in the 60's People started to think differently. This fresh wave of thinking was something like a tsunami on the design world. the wave swept away all the old thinking. No one knew where India was. It was some godforsaken piece of land in the east until the Beatles invaded. All the gurus and swamis who were sleeping in obscurity suddenly woke up and cashed in. The west turned towards india, people started talking about spirituality. Even the indians like me were not aware of it. I think I wrote a post on John Lennon. Should be december 8 the day he died.

Claudia said...

About the song and its characters, Paul said, in 1966: "I was sitting at the piano when I thought of it. The first few bars just came to me, and I got this name in my head... Daisy Hawkins picks up the rice in the church. I don't know why. I couldn't think of much more so I put it away for a day. Then the name Father McCartney came to me, and all the lonely people. But I thought that people would think it was supposed to be about my Dad sitting knitting his socks. Dad's a happy lad. So I went through the telephone book and I got the name McKenzie. I was in Bristol when I decided Daisy Hawkins wasn't a good name. I walked 'round looking at the shops, and I saw the name Rigby. Then I took the song down to John's house in Weybridge. We sat around, laughing, got stoned and finished it off."

Claudia said...

Eleanor Rigby was released in 1966. Strawberry Fields Forever was released in 1967, same year I was born.

Anonymous said...

You might want to listen to Ravi Shankar, and maybe even put one of his beautiful sitar sounds on the blog (iPod music references).
Many wonderful things were recorded by him and George Harrison.
Love you, sis.
Rita

Rauf said...

Thanks for the correction Claudia