Thursday, November 09, 2006

Old family photos

Last week, Dad sent me what is probably the oldest surviving photograph of my ancestors, taken at the end of the 19th century. In it, my paternal great-great-grandfather (my father's great-grandfather), Antonio (b.1853-d.1910), is standing in the back row, first from the left, with three of his brothers next to him. Their mother (my father's great-great-grandmother), Maria (b.1825-d.1917), is sitting in the front row, first from the left, with one of her daughters. Four of her other children - they were 9! - are missing from this ancient family photo.
From Mum I received this picture of my beautiful maternal grandmother (my mother's mother), Felicidade, who was born in 1912. She is the only grandparent I got to meet and she still lives in the same house she and my grandfather rented when they were married in 1939 (also the house where my mother was born, in 1943, and where I spent my childhood). This picture was taken when she was in her early twenties. My paternal grandmother (my father's mother) was also a very beautiful woman. I'll have to ask Dad to scan me a photo of her (I believe there's only two surviving pictures of her).
Also in the goodie bag I got from Mum yesterday (through Hubby), was this photo of my most beloved great-aunt Gertrudes (Titu) and great-uncle Antonio (Tito). I always felt them to be my loving grandparents and I used to adore spending the holidays with them. They married late and had no children of their own. My great-aunt took care of Dad, his brother and his sister after their parents died when they were still very young children.

This picture was taken in February 1980, in Vale de França / Portimão, Algarve. In the background there are almond trees in blossom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crazy girl!,but I loved it...
By the way, bivó was not married in 1940, but in 1939.

Claudia said...

I stand corrected! Than you.

Rauf said...

How wonderful to see our ancestors what they looked like. I have two such pictures one looks just like me wearing a turban. Shocking resemblence, but none of my elders could give me more information on him and how he was related to us. The second picture had lots of kids that my mom could identify, none of them are alive.

Claudia said...

Unfortunately, although I have a beautiful mother and grandmothers I don't look anything like them! It's a bit traumatizing to growup and live surrounded by beautiful women (my mother-in-law and my sisters are also very pretty) and not be pretty yourself.

Anonymous said...

You're just fishing for compliments. You know you're very pretty. Adore you,
Ri