Saturday, March 10, 2007

Little socialites

My children's social life along with their growing sense of style and fashion leave me feeling as if I'm a stone age woman or, at least, an old-fashioned nun... I wasn't like this when I was their age! I didn't go out to movies or disco parties with friends until I was well into my late teens and even then definitely not very often. Sleep over parties??? Not a single one! Make up/ make over parties??? No way! Giggles and comments about cute guys? Only very discreetly and never in front of "grown ups"... Fashionable clothes and accessories? I absolutely did not feel the need for them! In that last respect, however, my girls are not too bad. They are easily contented as long as I play by their very clear standards on what not to wear...

Anyway, Ana went to the movies with a group of friends after lunch and Clara is in the middle of a sleepover party right now (I won't get much sleep tonight). Both of their little agendas are filled with parties, discos, movies, concerts, sports events and so on and so on... They're 6 and 11, for goodness sake! What will their social life be like 10 years from now...

2 comments:

Dad said...

You don't want to know and me either...
When you and your sisters were very young little ones perhaps it was not that difficult for us to say just "NO!"...

Claudia said...

I'm not afraid to say "no" when I feel very strongly about something. Life has changed dramatically in the last 40 years, though, and the things we have to say "no" to nowadays are quite different from those of way back then.