Saturday, July 19, 2008

Derailed

Details: 2005, USA, Drama/Thriller, cert 15, 107 mins, Dir: Mikael Hafstrom
With:
Clive Owen, Jennifer Aniston, Vincent Cassel, Vincent Cassell
Summary: A flirtation between two commuters quickly develops into a highly dangerous liaison when an observer tries to blackmail them.


Just saw this film on TV. Came right after the 10 o'clock news (no adverts on BBC), I was too tired to get up and switch off the TV (no standby modes are allowed in the house) and so I just lingered on. This disturbing film noir had me hooked right from the start, though, and I found it gripping, effective and, once again, I found Clive Owen dazzling me.

Had to look up the reviews afterwards. Seems like most critics disliked Derailed, but I don't watch as many films as they do so nor do I have the same high-brow expectations so I didn't find it predictable or a poor relation of some other brilliant film which I haven't seen anyway.

No comments: