Saturday, January 24, 2009

Little random notes

Clara's enthusiasm for the piano is still going strong and she's also loving to learn to play the flute. Like Ana, she now has after school activities on every single school day. Must keep them busy, happy and thriving and I'll happily play the chauffeur, driving them around...

Ana is taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, which is an excellent thing. She will also have major school exams on the week of her birthday, which is rotten...

Must read "Why we are, as we are" from a Darwinian point of view (2009 is the 150th anniversary of the publication of "The Origin of Species").


Can't wait to see "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".



"I was born under unusual circumstances." And so begins 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,' adapted from the 1920s story by F. Scott Fitzgerald about a man who is born in his eighties and ages backwards: a man, like any of us, who is unable to stop time. We follow his story, set in New Orleans from the end of World War I in 1918 to the 21st century, following his journey that is as unusual as any man's life can be. Directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with Taraji P. Henson, Tilda Swinton, Jason Flemyng, Elias Koteas and Julia Ormond, Benjamin Button is a grand tale of a not-so-ordinary man and the people and places he discovers along the way, the loves he finds, the joys of life and the sadness of death, and what lasts beyond time.

6 comments:

rauf said...

nominated for many Oscars ?
oh David Fincher ? i am reading it only here Claudia, Thats nice, the Panic room chap ??, Seven, fight club ??

Now the Vatican is shifting its stand, Evolution is compatible with the Bible and the Bible is an allegory and don't take it literally they said. The Bible has been taken literally as word of God for over two thousand years. The foundations are shaking. i don't know the reaction to Church of England's apology.

Claudia please watch this utoob video
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY
its a Sir Ken Robinson lecture on children's creativity. Very witty he is. 'creativity is as important as literacy' he says. Very interesting lecture. i apologise if you have already posted this in your blog as i learn a great deal of things from you and tell others. i am so glad that Children are doing what they love to do and you are encouraging them.
Hope you are doing fine Claudia.

Peter said...

As usual, your posts have "everything" ... even if you just call this one "Little random notes"! Happy to hear about the piano playing, loved to read the "Why we are, as we are"... and yes, must see the "Benjamin Button"!!

Anonymous said...

hello! I´m very glad my picocas are doing so well. and I am glad that you decided to be a stay at home mom. That is what makes it all possible:-) they are very lucky children.
send them my love.
As for the movie, it´s a nice, agreable, easy to see movie. I liked it very much! I also sugest Slumdog Millionair. Very good, but a lot more agressive. And you should also see Changeling ( Clint Eastwood) with Angelina Jolie. I think you will be moved. I was. Liked it a lot and was suprised it wasn´t a oscar nominee, but then again I didn´t see the rest, so I can´t compare.
Love U all
MMMBJS

Claudia said...

Dear Rauf, I just saw Sir Ken Robinson's video on YouTube and it is a very interesting lecture indeed! The education of children (and adults as well) should be a balance in which academic learning is as important as learning through creative expression, observation, interaction with the world and people around us and carefree play. Thank you for sending me the link! Sorry I took so long to reply, I haven't been in the best of moods lately but am doing much better now :-)

Claudia said...

Peter, Benjamin Button is a bit of a disapointment although it could have been a brilliant film. All the fuss is undoubtedly because of the special effects... I don't understand why Brad Pitt was nominated for an Oscar, I think his performance was unremarkable although definitely his best so far (not difficult...). And Kate Blanchet is most definitely the result of miscasting.

Claudia said...

My lovely sis! How wonderful to have a comment from you, miss you so much... Being a staying at home mother is putting your children above everything else but it can come at a considerable personal and financial cost. I'm happy with it though, find it much better than when I was spending 12 hours away from home every single day and was so tired at the end of the day that I had no strength left to play and talk. I missed most of their first year milestones and will never forgive myself for that.