Saturday, January 31, 2009

Misanthropy

Little people full-of-themselves really annoy me. Are there more of them all of a sudden or is it just that my amygdalae are hypersensitive these days? I'm becoming more misanthropic by the day and it's not a comfortable thing to be when you're raising kids. Is there a cure for misanthropy?


Did a quick search on the net and came up with this:

Cure for Misanthropy and Melancholy

Henry David Thoreau, Walden, chapter 5 (Solitude):
Yet I experienced sometimes that the most sweet and tender, the most innocent and encouraging society may be found in any natural object, even for the poor misanthrope and most melancholy man. There can be no very black melancholy to him who lives in the midst of Nature and has his senses still. There was never yet such a storm but it was Aeolian music to a healthy and innocent ear. Nothing can rightly compel a simple and brave man to a vulgar sadness. While I enjoy the friendship of the seasons I trust that nothing can make life a burden to me.


Ah.....Nope. Doesn't do it for me: too impractical at this phase of the proceedings.

Also came up with this:

Cheer up, misanthrope, Smell the grass, eat a cookie, we humans aren't so bad. This helped and really amused me but then again I'm not allowed to eat cookies right now and the grass doesn't really smell that nice because it's frozen...

The Cure of Misanthropy: On Wall-E, Kubrick and Mike White's The Year of the Dog. This didn't help at all but was interesting reading.

I have to face it. I'm not going to find a cure for misanthropy just laying around. Maybe I don't even need a cure, true misanthropists don't feel that need.

So now what? Now nothing. I'll just have to keep on doing my bit to ensure that I'm not raising my kids to become like me. Tough job, I tell you.

6 comments:

rauf said...

i have to place my head in the millstone Claudia, i don't unnerstan a ting.
i am a little people full of myself toos.

Anonymous said...

ants talk to you, little fish in fish bowls talk to you too...
people look at you over coffee tables, they bump into you in supermarket alleys, they murmur excuses - they don't know who you are, what you stand for....
you just aren't nice, you can't stand nice, you try to be like rocks and rain...you don't care.
it's just that turns out, you can't hold it too long, a little flower in winter, a snow flake, the kitsch of a pop song...all this get to you and stone or rain you're not anymore.
sorry you have an heart-your heart will save you all the time*

Peter said...

Reading this post with its great touch of humour I have difficulties to really believe in your misantrophy! :-)

Claudia said...

I was in monologue mode.
Thank you for your comments, Rauf, JP, and Peter. Your visits are always appreciated and my misanthropy obviously doesn't cover you :-)

West said...

Got here searching for a cure for misanthrophy. If only people weren't so blind, eh?

Unfortunately, my search turned up only fellow seekers. There is no cure for misanthropy because there is no cure for people.

Anonymous said...

The Japanese poet Basho cured his misanthropy by learning to 'embrace the mundane world'. The problem with misanthropes is that you are too optimistic about your expectations of what people should or can do. Lowering your expectations, and embracing the mundane, will relieve (some of) your misanthropy.