Monday, February 02, 2009

The Big Chill

St. Michael's Church - Walton Hall

Jenny Lee Building, Walton Hall

Walton Hall

Lebanon Cedar

Lebanon Cedar

Walton Hall

Snowbud

The heaviest snowfall for 18 years paralysed swaths of the country, bringing chaos to roads, railways and airports, closing thousands of schools and businesses, and costing the economy an estimated £1.2bn in lost working hours.

Although the snow had been forecast since last week, much of Britain was overwhelmed, with conditions forcing one in five workers to stay at home, as many as 3,000 schools closed and many non-urgent hospital operations were postponed. Note: none in our household stayed at home, the girls' schools were open - even though Ana's ended up sending everybody home at lunchtime and all after school activities being eventually cancelled - hubby went to work as usual, and Nia's surgery in Oxford went ahead as planned. It was pretty awful driving in today's weather, though. I hadn't had my car stuck in the snow since the good ol' US of A. All the skidding wasn't all that fun either...

A report from London.

5 comments:

Claudia said...

What beautiful photos!

(thanks for your kind comment, I just found my weblog software has been classifying the comments as junk and thus efficiently hiding them from me :P)

rauf said...

these are gorgeous pictures Claudia, i love seeing them but i don't want to live in these pictures. i am feeling the chill already.

Claudia said...

Neil Diamond's I AM I SAID has been playing in my mind for almost three days now, Rauf...

Claudia said...

So nice to have a comment from you, Claudia! I hope your stay in London runs smoothly after the initial chaos :-)

rauf said...

ah ! my favourite, this and Brooklyn Roads always in my iPod.
You want to be in sunny Portugal Claudia ?