Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Blogging

May you never walk alone

In his latest and utterly ravishing blog entry, dear blogger friend Rauf (whom I met through this ancient post) reminded me that the two of us started blogging four years ago this October. I hadn't remembered this and it hit me that it feels like a lot longer: so many things have changed so dramatically since October 15 2005 that that date seems to belong to another lifetime. This blog's original purpose has long been fulfilled and rendered obsolete: people and situations change and underlying creative frameworks (necessity, inspiration and technology) change accordingly. I don't believe in definite ends so I've let The Millstone (a tribute to my favourite Margaret Drabble novel) linger on. Sometimes - though it's increasingly rare - I even find it enjoyable to come back and feed it once again, wondering what I'll think of all of this twenty years from now (I doubt anyone else will find it worth the while to come back, my kids included). I expect most entries will serve as memory triggers for happy, complex or curious episodes which haven't been registered in writing but are engraved in recondite corners of my mind, waiting to be pulled out. Were I a good writer and had the spark of inspiration they might make a good book: even the dullest things can be turned into great stories if you're a good storyteller and know how to let the " little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you".(*)

I've learnt so much from other bloggers during these four years! I've enjoyed the enormous privilege of glimpsing into their minds and dispositions, their experiences and worlds! Rauf (Daylight Again), Mariana (Gatochy's Blog), Sylvia (Kókosbolla), Gert (gertsamtkunstwerk), Tina (Swiss Miss), Ruth (synch-ro-ni-zing), Peter (Peter's Paris), Jill (Caffeine Court), Heather (Dooce), Catherine (Petite Anglaise), Lucy (Lucy Pepper), Claudia (O Mundo de Claudia), and so many others: thank you, I owe you immensely!



(*) Thank you Ruth!

12 comments:

rauf said...

i have no fancy words to convey my thoughts, these are some very plain statements and facts.

visiting your blog is education for me Claudia, in art, music literature and various other fields, The source comes directly from you mostly, or some times you point your finger towards some other pages on the net and bring them to our attention, which has broadened my angle of view. This is besides the treat of delightful and artistic pictures like the one on this post.

I treat The Millstone as Oxford of blogs and Ruth's Synchronizing is the Harvard of blogs.

End of Statement.

Anonymous said...

And visiting your blog is heartwarming for me, besides being everything Rauf says.

Ruth said...

When I opened your blog and saw the photo I was reminded instantly of rauf's current posts - both at Daylight Again and at Expressions, his new aminus3 photoblog, those trees reaching over the river toward each other.

See how the two front trees on either side of the path lean in, just a little. Blogging is that - leaning in to reach across a chasm - toward others, and toward self.

I found you much too late for my liking, Claudia. I wish I had been here from October 2005. But I am trying to accept that this isn't your first mode of expression any more. I enjoy partaking as it comes now. I agree with rauf about getting educated, and I agree with Anonymous about some posts being heartwarming. But really, I'm just glad we met.

Claudia said...

I am so flattered by your kind words, rauf! Thank you!

Thank you, Mami adorada, number 1 fan and most faithful reader!

Ruth, I also find the photo a good representation of blogging and this journey of ours. I'm very glad I've found you, your blog is a source of daily pleasure - of the intelligent kind (I had to say that because there's too much of the non-intelligent kind around in the net).

rauf said...

oh that's a good idea ! i have to add 'non intelligent kind ' on my blog somewhere

Claudia said...

Ahahaha Rauf! By pleasures of the non-inteligent kind I more or less meant Facebook...

Peter said...

I can't remember how I found you (so happy I did), but I believe I somehow contributed to the meeting between you, Ruth and Rauf, obviosuly a good meeting between three excellent bloggers (so I can be a little bit proud)!

Your three blogs are so different from mine, but that is what I appreciate! Keep on!

Claudia said...

I remember how I found you, Peter. I was trying to find a good photo of beautiful Place de Furstenberg in the internet and I came upon your previous blog. At that time you were intrigued by the fact that sitemeter showed that you had frequent visitors with long visiting times but these visitors never identified themselves by leaving a comment. I therefore decided to leave a comment praising your beautiful and extremely well researched blog on my favourite city in the world. After a while, I noticed that the same insightful Ruth who commented on Rauf's blog also commented on your blog and I found the coincidence amusing, after all Rauf is in India, Ruth is in Michigan, you're a Swedish in Paris and I'm a Portuguese in England, you would have though we didn't have much in common. As it was, it turned out to be the begining of a beautiful friendship! :-)

Ruth said...

I was trying yesterday to come up with the best Indian university so I could call rauf's blog the ________ of blogs. But I didn't know any. :( (Peter's is the Sorbonne of blogs.)

So I just googled 'best indian university.' First five were technology institutes. I don't think those are quite it. Next is Jawahrial Nehru University. Mmm, ok. But I like the next one: Anna University in Chennai. I think rauf would like being called the Anna of blogs. But he would have to tell us if it is a school worthy of that.

Claudia said...

Ruth, I love the idea, after all Anna is my daughter's name (besides being a great university)... I however would compare Rauf's blog to that mightiest of all universtities, the University of Life.

Ruth said...

Well you make an excellent point, Claudia - problem solved!

Peter said...

Loved to read these comments... It reflects so well the good side of blogging and friendship! :-)