Monday, September 13, 2010

Lisbon

There's no light like Lisbon's... When I lived and worked there I didn't appreciate it as much as now that I'm a tourist in my own city.

I took these photos in and around Lisbon during the Summer holidays. May they brighten up your day.

Terreiro do Paço
Terreiro do Paço

The Lisbon Cathedral
Lisbon Cathedral and Alfama

The Panteao as seen from the Tagus
Panteao Nacional and S. Vicente

Belém
Belem

Castelo de S. Jorge
Castelo de S. Jorge

Basilica da Estrela
Basilica da Estrela

The Flag of Portugal
The Portuguese Flag

Perfumaria Aux Bonheur des Dames
Old perfume shop now turned into a Nespresso shop

Joalharia Carmo
Expensive jewelry at Joalharia Carmo

The best cassata in the world
The best cassata in the world can be found in Lisbon, in one of the corners of the Restauradores Square: A Veneziana.

Rossio
Rossio

O Tejo
O Tejo

Torre de Belém
Torre de Belem

Padrão dos Descobrimentos
O Padrao dos Decobrimentos

Full Moon over the Tagus
Full Moon over the Tagus and under the Ponte 25 de Abril

Hope
Near my old house in the Telheiras neighborhood of Lisbon

Telheiras
The church in Telheiras

Amoreiras
Amoreiras Towers. My first job was in the top level of the left tower, a 16th floor with breathtaking views over Lisbon.

Rua do Seculo
My childhood street, Rua do Seculo

Tram jam
Tram jam!

Convento da Madre de Deus
Monastery of Madre de Deus (National Tile Museum)

Misty Sintra at the end of the day
Sintra, Lord Byron's"Glorious Eden"

Óbidos
Obidos

Obidos
Obidos

Luz no Mosteiro da Batalha
Light filtered through the stained glass windows of the Batalha Monastery

Mosteiro de Alcobaça
Alcobaça Monastery

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Every photo is framable, Claudia. Splendid. The light is fantastic, and your eye and skill is too, as always.

Lisbon looks gorgeous. I just love when a city on the sea goes up hills. (Like Istanbul.)

I don't know what cassata is, but I like it.

The moon under the bridge is so like the Golden Gate!

The roses and sun! Obidos, and the prism'd light in the monastery.

It all did brighten my day. Thank you. It's so great to have you back here.

kazia said...

amazing :)

Trulyfool said...

Claudia,

Your photographic eye is marvelous. This is (I've said it before, likely sounding like an 'intrusive dad') what you should aim at doing. Your art.

Trulyfool

Claudia said...

Thanks, Ruth, this summer I got a bit of my inspiration back, I guess.
Cassata is a Sicilian ice-cream, I posted the link on the post.

Claudia said...

Thanks, Kazia!

Claudia said...

TF,

You are kind and your words of encouragement are appreciated. I'm considering investing a bit more on my photographic skills and see where that leads me.

C

rauf said...

Thanks for avoiding eyesores Claudia, only one eyesore here and the rest are fine. i am not against modern buildings Claudia, more efficient and good use of space.

oh George Clooney there in one picture.

I have never heard of all the names of dishes Ruth mentions and i know what cassata is. My niece's favourite. It may not be the best like you find in Lisbon, i like it too Claudia. Pretty well known here.

If you are thinking of investing on the equipment please avoid heavier cameras Claudia.

rauf said...

Hi old boss, just came to see how you are doing! Are you still making good money ? Then say actually i came here to take some pictures of Lisbon. good view of the city from the 16th floor.

Claudia said...

My old boss isn't there anymore, rauf, he died a couple of years ago. I don't think I would know most of the people who work there anymore. The view is just about the only thing that remains and that I would want to see again.

I'm still deciding if I should invest on a Nikon D90 or a Canon EOS. I hope they're not too heavy.

Ilona Bastos said...

Parabéns pelas maravilhosas fotografias!
Realmente espantosas!