Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Stone

pebbles

Go inside a stone
That would be my way.
Let somebody else become a dove
Or gnash with a tiger's tooth.
I am happy to be a stone.

From the outside the stone is a riddle:
No one knows how to answer it.
Yet within, it must be cool and quiet
Even though a cow steps on it full weight,
Even though a child throws it in a river;
The stone sinks, slow, unperturbed
To the river bottom
Where the fishes come to knock on it
And listen.

I have seen sparks fly out
When two stones are rubbed,
So perhaps it is not dark inside after all;
Perhaps there is a moon shining
From somewhere, as though behind a hill—
Just enough light to make out
The strange writings, the star-charts
On the inner walls.


-- Charles Simic --

(I'm glad to have found Simic today.)

5 comments:

Ruth said...

He's a wonder. And this one! Oh my. How does he do that?

I look forward to a dance or two with him at Willow's ball, if he can fit me in. I just want to absorb come of his poetics.

Every bit of this about a stone is true, isn't it?

rauf said...

i was going through old posts Claudia

rauf said...

oh yes, there is so much to learn here in your posts Claudia. This is good for students. i try to convince myself its ok if you have never heard of these things.

Claudia said...

Ruth, I must confess that although I'm glad I found him, I can't connect to most of what I read by him so far. Will persist a bit more. Some things come with time.

This particular poem, however, is absolutely phenomenal.

Claudia said...

rauf, I hope you don't find anything ancient I may now regret to have posted in here...