Sunday, October 10, 2010

Banana, Honey and Walnut Muffins

Miel Toutes Fleurs

Today I am going to use this very sweet sounding honey Clara brought me from France to make Banana, Honey and Walnut Muffins. Ideal for Sunday tea.

Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes to 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes to 45 minutes

Makes: 12

Ingredients

360g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
100g golden caster sugar
200g chopped walnuts
100g muesli
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
120ml vegetable oil
100g honey
3 large bananas, mashed

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Meanwhile, line a muffin tin with 12 large muffin papers and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, then stir in the sugar, walnuts and muesli. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, oil, honey and bananas. Tip the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until combined, but do not overwork. If the mix is a little stiff, add 1 tbsp milk.
3. Spoon the mixture into the muffin papers, filling them 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the muffins are well risen and coloured golden brown. To test if they are cooked in the middle, insert the point of a knife or a skewer: if it comes out clean, they are ready. If the muffins are still sticky in the middle, bake them for a few more minutes. Eat these on the day you bake them.

17 comments:

Ruth said...

May I join you?

Claudia said...

Oh, Ruth, I do wish you would!!

ANNA-LYS said...

Thank You for sharing!!!

rauf said...

looked like a poem to my fading vision Claudia.
What humans do with the products of nature is poetry to me.

Karen said...

Claudia, I love how I can come to your blog after a few days absence and find so many varied things to interest me - from beautiful images to poetry to recipes to thought-provoking information. It's never dull over here! I was intrigued by the brave and bold name of Lisbon's new Centre for the Unknown, and had to look that up. And Larkin's poem on old age reminded me that Richard Mason took a line from this to title his last novel, The Lighted Rooms, which you might enjoy reading. Thanks for all this ...

Claudia said...

rauf, I hope your vision isn't fading and that it doesn't keep you away from us... I always miss your comments when you're away.

I love honey and this little jar Clara brough me from France has a name as sweet and lovely as its content: honey of all flowers.

Something as delicate and wonderful as this should be appreciated and treated with respect.

There are numerous kinds of honey depending on the flower blend. My favourite is lavender honey.

Claudia said...

Karen,

I've just come back from your luscious post about Shanghai! Really wonderful.

I will follow your sugestion and read Richard Mason's The Lighted Rooms, thanks!

Claudia said...

Thank you, ANNA-LYS, for visiting and commenting!

rauf said...

oh what a relief Claudia! Clara is back home. Now you can sleep.

MonetPaisley said...

I found your blog by googling banana, walnut and honey muffins. I have just popped them in the oven, they smell divine. I thoroughly enjoyed the fresh breeze that is your blog, I'll be back!

Trulyfool said...

Claudia,

Most definitely something I would eat often!

Trulyfool

rauf said...

i see the love and care and thoughtfulness of Clara in bringing the honey bottle without breaking it.

Anonymous said...

Olá mana. Então ficaram bons???? Precisamos de follow-up para saber se vale a pena experimentar! Guardaram um aqui para a malta??? ;-) É melhor não que por estas bandas anda tudo a percisar de "banda".

MMMBJS

Anonymous said...

precisar... ando dislexica...

Claudia said...

rauf, she brought very well chosen little presents for everybody: a little pot of honey for me, a key chain for Ana, a mug for Daddy, a pen and a necklace for Nia, and a little plush toy for Finn (Nia's baby brother). She was so happy and proud for not losing or breaking anything! My little princess does me proud everytime. She and Ana are the apples of my eyes.

Claudia said...

Mana adorada, sabe tão bem quando deixas um comentáriozinho... o pessoal por aí lê mas ninguém se compromete a escrever nada. Os cupcakes sairam divinais e marcharam em menos de 10 minutos... Fazemos novamente no Natal, ok? Imagina que as tuas sobrinhas já andam para aí a cantar o Jingle Bells :) Can't wait! MMMMMMBJS

PS - O telefonema de ontem soube muito bem a todas nós.

Claudia said...

Thank you, MonetPaisley. I hope the cupcakes came out alright!