Monday, October 04, 2010

Inland

Port Isaac Impression

People that build their houses inland,
People that buy a plot of ground
Shaped like a house, and build a house there,
Far from the sea-board, far from the sound

Of water sucking the hollow ledges,
Tons of water striking the shore --
What do they long for, as I long for
One salt smell of the sea once more?

People the waves have not awakened,
Spanking the boats at the harbor's head,
What do they long for, as I long for, --
Starting up in my inland bed,

Beating the narrow walls, and finding
Neither a window nor a door,
Screaming to God for death by drowning --
One salt taste of the sea once more?

-- Edna St Vincent Millay --

The path leading home

Looking out onto the harbour

Stormy and Sinuous

7 comments:

rauf said...

is that Ana and Clara in the second picture ?

Texture is disturbing Claudia, is it the first time i am criticising or have i criticised before ?

i can't teach you anything Claudia, you must be knowing this already
After applying the texture, please go to Edit, Fade Texturiser, then slide down the pointer to your liking and stop.

coolit is the word i have to type here. Does that mean shut up ? two O's are fused together

rauf said...

You must be having few more variations of the second picture Claudia with children walking ahead. Do you have one with children closer to the camera ?

Claudia said...

Dear rauf,

Perhaps I played around with texture a bit too much... Sorry if it's an eyesore. These pictures were taken in Cornwall and my experience there was right out of an old storybook illustrated with evocative artistic impressions. I just wanted to somehow convey that feeling.

It is the girls who are running towards the house, the B&B where we stayed near Tintagel. Unfortunately, I don't have another one taken in the same place in which they are nearer.

Trulyfool said...

Claudia,

I actually like that textural effect. Given the state of my untrained eyes and utter ignorance of visual software, that judgment may be more naive than rauf's.

The Millay poem shows off her skills -- someone a bit too ignored, but then, many are.

I wonder if those craving 'the inland' seek to be enwombed again -- although how you escape amniotic fluid and its proto-memory, if there is one, I don't know.

Splashing water, the rush of waves -- I'm thinking it's a feeling of birth. It's meeting life from the first. Hiding from it is claustrophobic.

Atta, girl, Edna! (Edmund Wilson had a deep, deep thing for her -- she was considered a 'hottie')

Trulyfool

Claudia said...

I love Edna, Trulyfool. She might even be my favourite poet these days. I can relate to her poetry on a very deep and intimate level.

willow said...

I am a huge fan of Edna St. Vincent Millay. Have you read her bio by Nancy Milford, "Savage Beauty"? I've been fascinated ever since I read it almost 10 years ago.

Claudia said...

I haven't, Willow, but now I will.