Sunday, October 03, 2010

Weekend

With Hubby and Clara away having a blast in distant places, this weekend was all about having some good one-on-one time with Ana. We didn't go out anywhere exciting because the weather is foul and I didn't want to be away from the telephone but it's still been plenty of fun.

On Friday and Saturday night that very Anglo-Saxon tradition of telling ghost stories after dark inspired us to watch "The Sixth Sense" and "The Others" in a dimly lit but warm and cozy sitting room. Clara can't watch these movies yet and Michel doesn't really appreciate them but Ana had been wanting to see them ever since she turned fifteen, so the timing was ideal. We both really enjoyed the spooky sessions, even if both times my big girl ended up sleeping with me afterwards because she didn't want to be alone in her bedroom (last time this happened, her age was still in single digits).

Today, in what's most definitely becoming an Autumn trend, we spent  a good part of the afternoon in the kitchen baking goodies and Ana made a delicious carrot cake for tea.

carrot cake

This is her recipe:
  • 175g sugar
  • 175ml sunflower oil
  • 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
  • 140g freshly grated carrots (about 6 medium sized carrots)
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • grated zest of 1 large orange
  • 175g self-raising flour
  •  2 tsp baking of soda
  •  2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 5/8 cup honey 
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan 160C. 
  2. Grease and flour a rectangular cake tin.
  3. Put the sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the already beaten eggs. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange zest.
  4. Mix the flour, baking soda and spices, then sift into the bowl. Lightly mix all the ingredients with the wooden spoon - when everything is evenly amalgamated stop mixing. Add the walnuts and honey and mix everything once again.
  5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn it out.

It's been a lovely and cozy weekend with my big girl. Can't wait for my little girl to come home, though...

    4 comments:

    Trulyfool said...

    Claudia,

    We must be on similar mind-tracks. 'Creepy' is good! (And the more English the architecture seems to be, the better. New England and sometimes the odd French chateau can serve.)

    TFool

    Claudia said...

    Absolutely!

    Ruth said...

    I love to watch scary movies, and the ones you watched together are so good. But I spent much of my life imprisoned by fears, and such films only exacerbated the problem after they were done. The Others was such a surprise ending . . . and The Sixth Sense too!

    Carrot cake is one of my all-time favorites, especially with raisins. It looks moist and perfect with coffee. My compliments to the chef for visuals and what's happening in my imagination.

    By the way, I am afraid winter must be coming on, because I have a wicked onset of appetite.

    Claudia said...

    I've only just recently conquered the fears such stories and movies trigger in me.

    The carrot cake was yummie and very much in tune with the season (my growing appetite for sweets and carbs is also signaling the beginning of the cold weather). I wish there would be a way to physically share goodies like over the net, a "Beam me up, Scotty!" thingy majiggy for cakes, cookies and stuff ;-)