Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas!

Shenley's St. Mary's

'Tis the season to be jolly...

For the first time in the last few years, I actually had all my Christmas shopping and chores done well before our scheduled flight to Lisbon. Then, everything started going wrong... Two blizzards came, tonnes of snow, Heathrow airport shut down, our flight was cancelled, Ana came down with the flu on the same day, and now Clara's come down with it too. So,

Ho Ho Ho

this certainly fills my Christmas stocking to the brink.

Still, I managed to get to the supermarket - in a shopping trip that lasted for almost four hours due to the snow and black ice on untreated roads and general run up to Christmas madness - and I got everything we need to have ourselves a "merry little Christmas" in spite of it all (althought nothing makes up for not being with the rest of our much loved and missed family during this time of the year). The house is cozy and well supplied and we count ourselves lucky for not having been stuck at Heathrow or on a freezing motorway for hours or even days.

I'll never play or want to hear "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas again", though...

May your Christmases be merry, my blog friends!

camouflage

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh, Claudia, what a to-do! How disappointing that your plans had to be cancelled to be with family in Portugal. I'm so sorry. I do hope you and yours will have a beautiful holiday anyway, and that Ana and Clara will be perfectly well soon (and you stay healthy).

The first photo is absolutely gorgeous. I still can't get over all the snow there.

Trulyfool said...

Claudia,

We've heard about the weather in your area! One of my daughter's friends flew into Paris just before this hit. (And the airline lost her luggage!)

Stay warm this season -- best to your family!

Trulyfool

Anonymous said...

Con ese optimismo no será difícil que el año próximo te sea propicio.

¡Feliz Navidad!

Salvador

Karen@Pas Grand-Chose said...

That first photo is just beautiful. I'm so sorry your Christmas plans are in tatters - I can really sympathise with your frustration, though you seem to be taking it with commendable spirit and optimism! I wish you a very happy Christmas at home ...

All best wishes,
Karen

Peter said...

Maybe being "forced" to spend your Christmas in a small own little family atmosphere somehow can give a different value to the celbration which, if you really think about it, may be something positive? Travel during this period of the year - especially this year maybe - is always a bit of a lottery. At least you didn't have to spend Christmas sitting on the floor at Heathrow. I was in Sweden a couple of days before Christmas, and despite cancelled flights, managed to come back, more or less in time (squeezing onboard a previous heavily delayed flight). I felt almost ashamed about how lucky I was.

Now, I hope you have got rid of the flu and can start looking forward to winter or easter holidays in Portugal?

I wosh you all a Happy New Year!

A. Peres - A.Utiger said...

hi... sorry about my english, isn't good yet. Why don't you put in your blog the item "followers". That's the big ocasion to you to see my ugly face (it's a joke).
Now serious...
You have a nice blog and seems you're a person with a good effortless living. Enjoy your "to do or to be" with your family (the key to happiness).

Peter said...

Happy I found you on FB, but don't give up your wonderful blog! :-)

Peter said...

I told you already, don't forget to blog!

Peter said...

You promised!! :-)

Karen @ PasGrand-Chose said...

Dear Claudia, I really miss your posts! Hope you'll be back soon?