Thursday, March 03, 2011

A bit of grind

No excuse for having my poor blog stuck in Christmas for so long! Merry Christmas wishes should automatically vanish when they’ve long outstayed their welcome. How neglectful of me! Spring is around the corner, daffodils are blooming, and a recent few days in Lisbon have quenched my thirst for sunshine, warmth, good food, and familial bonding for a while.

I’ve got little time to blog and even less to say, recently life seems to be a succession of mundane concerns and events, not really worth blogging about. Who knows, perhaps this submersion in triviality is really an escape mechanism, a step back from the spiral of pessimism I was being drawn into, where news of what's going on in the world, near and far, got the better of me and made me increasingly apprehensive about the future. For now I’d rather not think about it all too much and just stick to doing what I can and should effectively do. I’ll think about "the big picture" some other time. “After all, tomorrow is another day” and I’ve always rather admired Scarlett O’Hara.

By the way, I’ve watched some good films recently: Mrs. Miniver, Waterloo Bridge, and, of course, The King’s Speech, all excellent stuff.

Had some good reads as well: The Hare with Amber Eyes (couldn’t put it down!), Fry’s Chronicles, Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Suite Française.


São Pedro de Alcantara
Lisbon - Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara

São Pedro de Alcantara
Lisbon - Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara

Tejo
Lisbon, Belém - River Tagus and 25th April Bridge

Electric dreams
Electric cherry blossoms

Belém
Lisbon, Belém

Terreiro do Paço
Lisbon, Terreiro do Paço

Belém
Lisbon, Belém

Seagull having lunch
Lisbon, seagull and its lunch

Santo Amaro de Oeiras
Lisbon, Praia de Santo Amaro em Oeiras

Trindade
Lisbon, Tavares restaurant

Chiado
Lisbon, Rua António Maria Cardoso, Chiado

Costa da Caparica
Costa da Caparica

Jerónimos
Lisbon, Jerónimos

São Carlos
Lisbon, The Opera - São Carlos 

Casa de Fernando Pessoa
Lisbon, building where Fernando Pessoa lived.

3 comments:

Trulyfool said...

Claudia,

Very nice to have you back!

Pics of Lisbon's sun also welcome after a winter (still) gray.

(P.S. I can predict the news quite accurately -- it will either be trivial or exceptionally worrying. Perhaps a spell of not following it may 'clean the palate'?)

Trulyfool

Karen @ PasGrand-Chose said...

Yay, you're back! These lovely pics of so-familiar places in Lisbon are a real treat and make me long to go back there - thank you!

Ruth said...

It's great to see you, Claudia, and your usual glorious photographs.

I relate very much to what you said about the world. It can tear you apart, and to what end? Best to do what we do best, very well put.

xoxo