Sunday, January 15, 2012

A lifetime

My father-in-law's 80th birthday is coming up at the end of this month. Having no clue as to what to present to him on such an important milestone, we ended up deciding on putting together a professional looking photo book with a compilation of snapshots of his family life, from his marriage 50 years ago to present day. Cousins and nephews in Switzerland were drafted into helping and sent us photos of stuff and people I had never known about. I rummaged countless dusty boxes of photographic mementoes trying to select the more significant ones and scanning them with the highest possible resolution. Michel was in charge of the final selection from the deluge of pictures pouring into his mailbox and giving the whole thing form and structure on his Mac's iPhoto. The finished product looks amazing, I must say. It is also very moving to see his life in pictures, each with a story and part of a conducting thread that hems the fabric of his existence. Two weeks of time well invested. Now let's just hope he likes it as much as we do...

2 comments:

Peter said...

I'm sure this will be highly appreciated! It's amazing the kind of albums / books you now can make by your own. I have done a few, including one big family one, with photos from the late 19th century until my wife and I got married, with family trees etc... to the extent that I was able to do it. Regrettably my parents hadn't done the same; that would have helped me to do it better. Anyhow, one day maybe my kids and grandkids will appreciate.

rauf said...

Good idea. As Peter says it will be highly appreciated. Once compiled you can make few more copies Claudia as your other relatives would be demanding it.